Sunday, May 03, 2009

Software is the differentiator

What do I like?

Somethng small and pocketable which will always be with me performing several functions for me, like keeping me always connected and, like enabling me to connect back to the rest of the world etc.

I now think that iPhone is inching towards becoming that ultimate device.

But some of the devices which have larger screens like the 4.8" Viliv claim to be backpocketable ie, they can be easily fitted into the back pockets of even a tight jean. In Korea,where the device is manufatured, there is even phone function built into it. Then, why such larger screened devices pose a challenge to iPhone?

Recently, I read a review of 4.8" Viliv. The reviewer said everything is fine with the device except in one area--the touch experience. It's way far behind the touch experience of an iPod touch or an iPhone.

So, the competition boils down to one crucial area--the operating system.

Can anybody give a semblance of competition to Apple's OS X?

No comments: