Monday, July 20, 2015

Out of nowhere,'Lamyanba' comes to my mind.

Five bricklayers are erecting walls of my newly constructed house.I'm having full times in fulfilling their demands.This morning they wanted brush with iron bristle to clean the old surfaces of the walls.I went out and bought it.As I was returning,I thought of buying some bakery products as their refreshment in the afternoon.That would save me another trip to the bakery store.But I decided against that because I wanted to give them fresh arrival of today,which usually arrive at around noon.

I have already noticed that the stores were opening half-shuttered.I thought that they be fully opened by the time I went out again.

When I went out just after noon,I found all the stores completely shut!Something in the air told me there is vast change in the public's mood.

I had my dinner after giving tea to the bricklayers.Without even cleaning up my hands,I was just sitting there pondering over the present situation in Manipur.

Then,suddenly,out of nowhere,'Lamyamba' comes to my mind.The narrative that Tripuris have already been swamped by the outsiders and that same fate is awaiting us,Manipuri is the gift of 'Lamyamba' to the Manipuri Society.I'm talking about events decades back and 'Lamyanba',a Manipuri monthly was totally phenomenal.

I was still school-going at that time.I,with some my benchmates were thrilled by 'Lamyanba'.One particular story about Chanu Rose had a lasting impact on my psyche.I still clearly remember the power of that prose which told us the merciless story of the rape of a Tangkhul girl,Rose, by the high officer of the Indian army.That prose was mind-blowing.The Chanu Rose story was occassional.But the main plank of the 'Lamyanba' is,all throughout its life, that we are beinmg swamped by the large numbers of outsiders.

Still,we were the minority then.Anybody seen with a copy of 'Lamyanba' was viewed with suspicious glances.'Well-meaning' and 'conformist' sections of the society were reigning.

But,on this 20th of July,2015 I firmly believe that we are finally in the majority.The story of 'Lamyanba',so powerfully told decades back.have now percolated down to every stratum of the Manipuri society.As I am typing this post right now,the streets of Manipur are in upheaval.

The only voice of the 'well-meaning' and 'conformist' sections we heard today,on this 20th July 2015,is that of the good old souls of school teachers,who want to open their school.We know that their concerns for the academic calendars of the students are understandable.But the events unfolding right at the moment decisicely silence their well-meaning voice.

So,what's the road ahead?

1)All the societies south of Vindhya have the same feeling as the Manipuri society.They have the unbearable burden of the continous influx of 'North Indians'.Any Bill coming out of Manipur that have the minimal chance of regulating migrant workers(Noth Indian to them) would be so keenly studied by all these societies.In that sense,any Bill from Manipur would have the effect of opening up of the proverbial Pandora's Box for the Indian State.So,any Bill passed by the Manipur State Assembly have the zero chance of getting assent either from the Governor or the President of India.

2)The story of the face of the resurgent Indian nationalism--Mr Narendra Modi.Everywhere he goes,he has exhibited this unconcealed glee of finding such large number of Indian Diaspora.To them,they are the Diapora but to us,they are the 'influx' that is swamping us.A very powerful section within the Indian society,personafied by Mr Narendra Modi,is celebrating (so,encouraging) this 'influx'.Besides the technicalities of the Constitution of the Indian Union,this powerful section within the Indian society would never let any Bill out of Manipur see the light of the day.

So,we are heading for a clash.

I think this would be an epochal clash.

No comments: