Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fireworks in the darkness

When we were under the blanket darkness due to the breakdown of the transformer ( see my post dated 29th of this month) in our local grid, there had been constant bursting of crackers and fireworks. In fact, only tonight I’ve not been able to hear any sound of fireworks or crackers. Even, last night I heard several rounds of fireworks late in the night. This has been intermittently continuing since the Durga Puja.

During the week of darkness, I was there trying to cook my dinner by candlelight and there went the eerie sounds of crackers crackling and fireworks going up the night sky. I could not help asking myself—‘ Eh, are we celebrating darkness?’

Normally fireworks are meant for celebrations.

By social acceptance, there are a lot of fireworks during the Durga puja. In my childhood, crackers and fireworks were exclusively for the puja. And lighting of candles for the diwali. But this Diwali there was such a barrage of crackers and fireworks that there were deafening noises late in to the night for several days before and after it.

Whether one likes it or not, Puja and Diwali are celebration times and everybody can understand crackers and fireworks during the periods.

But this season, crackers and fireworks began several days before the Pujah and continued well into the Ningol chakouba! What’s happening here?

I distinctly remembered the evening when Dingkoo got that gold in the Asiad boxing events. Imphal erupted in celebrations with massive bursting of crackers and fireworks. That was totally normal. I mean we can have bursting of crackers and fireworks not during the socially accepted occasions like Pujah and Diwali.

But there must be some celebrations.

Now a days we were thrown into a sea of darkness for a complete week and some people were heard ‘celebrating’ with crackers and fireworks.

Either they were celebrating darkness or we are actually living in an abnormal society.

Or, is it that they wanted to celebrate the Dark Side?

Actually, I flinched whenever I heard one of those crackers and fireworks.

No comments: