Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Welcome the handheld!

I’ve just bought a CellOne pre-paid simcard for Rs 1500/-. How the hell CellOne card command such a hefty premium! It’s one of the riddles of the life in a place called Imphal!!

I never imagine that I would be buying any other new BSNL products so soon. I’ve all along mentally prepared to migrate to any other network that provides the first competitive broadband service in Imphal.

But all of a sudden I find myself amidst a group of people who are all using CellOne service. I need to be in constant touch with these people. But intra-networks connectivity is hellish in Imphal. I don’t know if it’s also the case in other parts of India. But if you are in Imphal you have to stay satisfied in the island of the network of your service provider. Most of the time, you just cannot connect to any other people who happen to use any other networks of the competing service providers.

So, I ended up buying another product of BSNL!

And, I’m also fully prepared to buy another handset with camera and music. The camera is basically meant for this blog. And, I want to use the phone as some sort of interface between my computer and my music system. I mean, will some of the handsets be dockable to a system like an iPod dock? If I delay buying that handset for some 6 months, will there a product in the market which has the feature I want?

I’m certain that I won’t want music on the go. But I want to play my playlists on my stereo system. At the same time, it really sucks to boot up the computer everytime I want to some music in the room. I want the simplest interface between them. If the handset can store around 50 songs and if it can be docked on the stereo system to play out the palylists, it will really satisfy me.

And, I also want higher resolution for the camera. I want more 3 megapixels. And, I cannot imagine myself to carry around a camera all the time. But a camera inbuilt in the phone is altogether another matter—I’ll have no fuss in carrying it around all the time!

But I also sense that what I like is not a phone. It’s a handheld device. I can feel that the phone has already morphed into an altogether different device.

Welcome the handheld!

No comments: