Monday, January 05, 2009

The story of change

The story of change, huh? This sure sounds grand. But changes need to occur within the bosoms of common and their households. When changes occur amongst the lowest strata of a given society, then we can say that a real change tkes place in that particular society.

So, this story would most likely mirrors the changes everyone anticipates amongst the common folks of my society. I'd even venture out to say that this story tries to picturize the anatomy of such change.

It all begins with one of those terribly boring ads in Poknapham daily. It was one of those which were replete with 'Ashok chakras' and the mysterious imprint of 'sarkari' feel--a sure eyesore. But that day that Government of India issued ad caught my attention.

The first line of the ad simply and succinctly stated that corn is better than both rice and wheat as a staple food. Simple, starigfhtforward and in a single sentence!

I laways try to read up whatever I can place my hands on if they relate to diet and health. But nobody so far say like this: CORN IS BETTER!

I have some prior knowledge of corn in Manipur. Most of the time, it is selling well below the Rs10/- a kg whereas rice is breaching the Rs20/- mark. Now, it so happens that it is nutritionally better and,at the same time, chaeper by more than 50% of the staple food of the State!

I immediately booted my computer up, went online and searched for recipes containing cornmeal.

I like the recipes of Brown Cornbread to be baked in a microwave oven.

So, I bought a microwave and a bag of corn!

Now, for lunch, I eat brown cornbread and still continue to eat rice at night.

Microwave is not the news here, nor is it the protagonist of this story. What is remarkable is that Imanage to cut down my daily rice intake by half. By half! Using the tools--internet and a microwave oven.

And the intriguing aspect of the change is that the spark comes from a totally unexpected quarter--a Governemnt of India issued ad in a local daily.

I truly beieve that my society consume a lot too much of rice. If any member of this society tries to excel in any field--be it sports, building up of intellectual property or crative arts, he should start by cutting his rice intakes substantiallyu and replace it with more nutritious food.

I count this change taking place in myself as a huge one.

No comments: