Sunday, April 24, 2016

Two Presidents pined for Khongjom replay

When words first came out that the President of India would attend the official Khongjom Day function on the 23rd,April 2016,I did not fail to ask myself:Why this sudden Khongjom blip on the radar of India's Head of State?

Yesterday,in the afternoon,my weeks long but repressed curiosity took wings of its own and literally flew skyhigh.I saw three heavy-bellied choppers taking the President to the Khongjom War Memorial site from the airport.At that momnet,it dawned on me that the President of India(who is an Octogenarian) took the arduous flight from New Delhi to Imphal,attended the function and,straight away,flew back to New Delhi.

This sure points to the fact the President of India suddenly gave a huge importance to the Khongjom Day function.

Any Manipuri would feel a little uneasy when such an important person starts giving such a huge importance to anything related to Khongjom battle.For Manipuris,Khongjom symbolizes an utter defeat.

Did the President of India take all those troubles in trying to re-emphasize the fact the the Manipuris suffered a decisive defeat at the hands of the West,125 years ago?

This question kept on nagging me all throughout the evening.As I was nursing a cold,I opted for a light supper last night.As I was eating my supper,a photograph suudenly came to my mind.Actually,a little cute photograph.The photograph saw President Obama actually crouching,talking to little Prince George,who was in his pajamas!

President Obama was in London just at the right time!

President Obama,who is the leader of the West,was in London during Khongjom Day.

The symbolism is huge.

One President was engaging London,whose Imperial force,the then leader of the West,inflicted a decisive defeat to the Manipuris while the other President took all the troubles to participate in person in the official commemoration of the the defeat at the Battle of Khongjom in 1891.

The two Presidents,in a synchronized dance movements,said that it is still as in vain as it was in 1891 to fight the West.               

No comments: