Saturday, April 29, 2006

Is it broadband?

I went to meet the junior telecom officer this afternoon.

I have applied for 256 kbps connectivity. They are giving the initial service to 90 subscribers only. The number of applicants is around 250. So, how are they going to choose the 90?

They are calling a report from the junior telecom officer about the health of the network, especially at the point where last mile route to my phone starts. So, I asked if he could detect any network defect at my point. He did not reply yes or no; he only said the report was ready and he would forward it to the concerned officer on Monday. The report is necessary because the service is to be delivered over ADSL mode.

How are they going to choose the 90?

I managed to have a furtive look at some of the applications. All of them are for the plan of Rs 250/- per month. So, I quickly made mine Rs 500/- per month plan.

For the Rs 250/- per month the download limit for a month is 0.4 gb. For the Rs 500/- plan it is 1 gb plus the bonus of limitless download between 2 am and 7 am (yes, from 2 am to 7 am).

They will definitely prefer a customer who is willing to pay Rs 250/- more every month, won’t they?

No comments: