Sunday, April 05, 2009

People with candles in their hands

Crowds sure can energize you.

That's how I felt when I saw people slowly filling up BOAT to its capacity. They were queueing up for the premiere show of a film.

I had no plan for going for a movie this evening. But when I saw so many people queueing up, I was about to buy a ticket. The crowd had a pulling effect on me.

But I didn't want to miss the occassion of Don Bosco alumni lighting candles for the departed soul of Dr Kishan.

So, I hurried back towards the western gate of Kangla.

I was merely 100 ft or so from the Kangla gate when I saw people already lightinig up candles and started moving towards BT Road in a slow procession.

And, my watch read exactly 7.30 pm. Did they start early?

There was a breeze. So, the procession was rather slow when they were concentrating on keeping the candles lighted against the breeze.

I wanted to walk in close and have a look into the faces of the people there. But there were so many flash lihgts popping up that I stood there and watched the slow procseeion from a distance.

Newspaper camera men had a field day covering the slow procession. Some even climbed atop the basement of the monument of Bhagyachandra with the elephant to click away the people with the candles in their hands!

No comments: