Sunday, August 02, 2009

The big, bad guy of Manipur

The Tehelka photos are the class in itself showing how policemen shot and killed an arrested person in cold blood. The link for the photos are here.

When I walked down the street of Paona Bazar in the evening, all of the Manipur Police Commando officers were nowhere to be seen. As I have to walk up and down this particular street several times a day, most of them are very familiar faces to me.

Today, I could see only few police commandos,all of them seemed to be new recruits. Seeing their face, I said to myself--'They seem to be blissfully ignorant of what have just hit them'.

Reaching the overbridge, I searched for an eveninger. There I found that the Chief Minsiter had just instituted a magisterail inquiry into the killing of the arrested person by the police commandos.

Reading the paper by the side of the street, I agian said to myself--'Even the Chief Minsiter himself is blissfully unaware of what have just hit him'.

In case the Chief Minister had instituted a judicial inquiry, he might have a remote chance of saving his political career.

But, now the die has already been cast. There is no turning back now.

The Chief Minsiter will always be remembered as the big, bag guy of Manipur who condoned and supported lawnlessness while still occupying the office of chief ministership.


Postscript:

I should put the following obsevation of mine in black and white.

In the morning, I went out to buy a copy of Huieiyen Lanpao. It was hardly 9 in the morning. But all the copies of the morning papers were sold out. I tried all the places I know where you can buy morning papers. Not a single copy of any newspapers was there--all sold out.Normally, you can buy newspapers even until noon.

In most evenings the usual scene under the overbridge is the gang of several newspaper hawkers standing there and trying to sell the papers to the passerbys.This evening, not a single hawker there. When I bought the paper, I had to look out for a hawker in sevral streets. Apparently, all the eveningers were also sold out.

So, the people are devouring the news.

No comments: