Thursday, December 07, 2006

New developments-1

In my last post, I called them new developments. What are they? They may have far wider meanings and very confusing. Now, I think that I didn’t choose my words well enough then.

What I meant to say was that I came into contacts with some perceptible but hardly noticed changes in my immediate surrounding. I came to be aware of them only some weeks back. It is because I didn’t have the opportunity to come into contact with those sectors of my society.

Right now in my house there are some constructions going on. I’m building an annex. In doing so, I came into contact with some younger generation work men.

In those young men I notice some perceptible changes in the work ethos of the coming generations.

Day one saw five of them coming to start building my annex. All of them are twenty something guys with only the leader looking in his late twenties. I gave them the layouts and they immediately went to works. There was such a smooth start because my sister had already talked to them of a rough outline of what I wanted. The workmen had just finished building another annex for my sister.

In digging up the pits and trenches for the pillars and the beams, they never had attempted any shortcuts. They painstakingly carried off the soggy soils to some distance so that their work areas were not cluttered. When they reached the level of ground water they were digging with their bare hands. What was outstanding was that not once were they supervised by their leader. They simply persisted in digging with their bare hands until they thought they had reached the right level of the soil. Only at that stage did they call their leader to have a look at their efforts.

I had all the construction materials ready except the sand. I asked them to contact a dependable supplier of sand with whom they have some previous working relationship. They gave me a cell no. I phoned the guy and ordered the sand.

But the voice over the phone told me immediately that he could not give me a delivery date for the sand but he could try after three or four days. I was a taken aback and asked him why that was so. He replied that he carried only ‘selected’ sand—if he could not find that ‘selected’ sand on a particular day he had go without any business for that day.

Well, I was seriously intrigued and replied that I should wait for 4 days. I made him promised me to deliver the sand on the 5th day. Then, I gathered all my wits to sound as casual as possible and inform the workmen that we had to wait for 4 days for the sand. But, to my surprise, they also replied casually that it was ok for them waiting for the ‘selected’ sand!

On the evening of the 4th day, I again phoned the supplier. This time he also informed me that I had to wait for 3 more days. Aghast! I quickly summoned the leader of the workmen and let them talked out between themselves. They had a fairly long talk over the phone. After he hung up the phone he told me that they were going wait for 3 more days! In the meantime, they kept on digging and in the process, losing money!

We have gotten a 2-part picture where on one side there is a supplier who is withholding delivery for 8 days because he can’t find the right stuff and on the other side, there are five odd workmen who wait for right sand for 8 days risking losing money.

For me, this is a completely new picture. A completely new development in my society.

No comments: