Saturday, December 09, 2006

New developments-2

Today’s is the second story of what I think a new development in our society. The first story is my post of 6th of this month. These two stories may seem to contain the same elements with only the changes in the scenes of their occurrence. There is likelihood of people thinking that I’m repeating a previously-told story. I’m doing this to show that what I had encountered in my first story is not an isolated case study. There is this possibility that we are encountering a trend in our society. I mean, a very encouraging and lively trend.

This story concerns one of my rich friends. (unlike me, some of my friends are actually rich). He is self-made, become rich and constructed a house which is one of the landmarks in his leikai.

His doors and windows (and also, his furniture) are all of teak—teak from Burma.

I’m not an expert in this field but there is problem in the joining point of the brick walls and the frames of the doors and windows. There must be some appropriate building tech for the proper and fine joining of the two. Here in Manipur, nobody is trying to find that technology. So, in most cases gaps develop in these joining areas.

My friend also faces these problems. He decided to get rid of these gaps for the windows and doors of one of the floors of his house. He made contact with the carpenters who fixed all those doors and windows. The carpenter in turn deputed two of his men for the job.

These two turned out to be two freshly minted carpenters—twenty something upwardly mobile carpenters! My friends had reservations in giving them the works because they looked so young and inexperienced. He again made contact with the head carpenter and he told him that they are quite dependable.

To shorten a long story, my friend was impressed and totally satisfied with the works of these young carpenters. Not only that I told me a very interesting story of his encounter with these two young carpenters.

In course of this repair job his stock of the teak wood was exhausted. ( Apparently, the job required fresh supplies of teak). He was in two minds whether to continue the works because the price of teak in Imphal is so high. Hearing this, the two carpenters immediately offered to go up to Moreh and bring required wood from there!

At first, my friend hesitated to accept the offer. But their enthuasiasm was disarming and he had to hand over considerable amount of cash and send them to Moreh.

The very following day they cane back from Moreh with good quality teak and completed the repairing job.

Such a thirst of work. Impressive.

No comments: