Monday, February 19, 2007

The case of the fleeing politicians

Today, I spent all day long in my house. It was only when dusk set in that I walked out of my house for the first time today!

I wanted to buy an eveninger. I roamed all throughout the Paona Bazar area, which was all shut down because of the bandh called by the rebels to boycott the visit of the Prime Minister. Normally, severally hawkers would be found selling several eveningers in the area. But, today, not a one could be found.

In the B.T. Road area I spotted a lone hawker. As I approached him, he coolly walked into some building holding a bundle of papers. I waited for him, standing near his bicycle. I waited for him for nearly 10 minutes. What made him stay that long inside that building if his purpose was to deliver the papers? I have no idea but, when he came out he told he had not a single copy for sale. He barely had the enough copies for his subscribers.

The moral of the story is that he lost half of his business of the bandh. On the way back, I noticed several elderly women trying to sell fish but unable to find buyers.

So, back at home, I turned on the good old radio for 7.30 pm Manipuri news. The Prime Minister at a Tamenglong election meeting told the crowd that peace is the first and primary condition for the development of Manipur. That is the bad old cliché! The radio further told us that the National Games concluded in Guwahati with Manipur at the second spot. A die hard Manipur supporter would say if all the Manipuri players playing for other states and services, Manipur is the sure winner. Hmmmm..why don’t they all come back here and make the State the rightful winner?

Lastly, the radio informed us that an independent candidate for the Tamenglong Assembly Constituency was kidnapped by some armed persons. As I said in my last post, this is definitely a flashpoint in the making.

But what is the response of the senior politicians of Delhi to the bandh called by the rebels for the purpose of boycotting them? Their response is to stay in Manipur for a few hours and flee the place. Is it response worthy of senior politicians of an emerging power centre like New Delhi?
C’mon, they are fleeing!!

No comments: