Sunday, February 11, 2007

A would be post!

I typed out the following on the night of the 1st only to be found out that my phone was thrown oout of service by the hailstorm. Nothing remarkable about the write up but I still want to post it.

******
How the thunderstorm struck Imphal! It came out of nowhere. I for one was completely taken by surprise.

It was dusk. I was just settling down with my cup of green tea when it struck us so suddenly. No warning so whatsoever.

While we were so mercilessly lashed by the storm, electricity also suddenly left us. I muttered-‘just in time’. But when I looked out, I found out that we were only 3 or 4 houses that were blacked out. All other houses were there all brightly lit up. Even in the middle of a hailstorm!

Well done, Government of Manipur for keeping their electric supply uninterrupted even during a hailstorm!

There was electricity in the majority of the houses even in the middle of a hailstorm. That was a some kind of record! I was loving that record even though I was there trying to cook my dinner in the middle of a hailstorm, multitasking in trying to save the flame of the kerosene lamp from being blown out by the strong winds!!

I was preparing to eat my dinner at around 10. Then, suddenly that elusive electricity returned to my place. 10 at night and there was still someone checking the grid! This again was another record. My thumb rule is that if we get blacked out at an hour later than 9 in the night there is no possibility of getting back the electricity because all the emergency staff personnel are busy having their dinner and are readying to go to bed.

I got electricity at 10 at night. But I was so thoroughly mentally prepared not let go of the rare chance of going to bed early that I anyhow went to bed immediately after my dinner.

Sometimes, I also want to go to sleep early. So, I just did that. What the heck!

******

No comments: