Sunday, February 11, 2007

Lost 10 days

There was a sudden hailstorm in Imphal on the 1st day of this month and my phone was knocked out of service by it. I dutifully reported it to the phone company on the following day. But there were so many bandhs and holidays in between that I managed to remind the phone company of my complaint only on the 7th and their ‘linesmen’ visited me on the 9th. On the afternoon on the 9th, they checked my phone lines only upto the DP on the telephone pole on the opposite side of the street of my place. They found the lines ok on their DP and they simply went away without even meeting me! Most probably they reasoned the fault occurred on the lines within my own premises, which in turn, was supposed to be my responsibility.

I don’t know what DP stands for but it is the point on the public telephone poles from where the lines enter individual household. In another words, it is the point form where the ‘last mile’ part starts.

So, this afternoon, I climbed on the rooftops and made repairs to my phone lines! What a change it was!! But I got it done. Now my phone is working.

It is sad but I have already lost 10 days because of the inefficiencies of a phone company and the underdevelopment of a society.

In the meantime, so many things have happened.

For one thing, Manipur People’s Party is in the striking distance of forming the next government in Manipur. It is a very surprising political development here.

And here I should also take this opportunity to correct myself. In several of my earlier posts I said that it was the works of the rebels to resurrect the Manipur People’s Party and positioned it in the present state from where they are in the striking distance of grabbing power in the State. I was wrong in my assessment.

Now I think that there have been these ongoing swings in the public moods. And the rebels are either smarter than most of us or they have their ears closer to the ground that they quickly got winds of the ongoing swings of the public moods and try to capitalize on that. Resurrecting MPP by merging two other regional parties, Federal Party and DRPP was the first step in that direction. I think it was a smart move.

Now in every sense of the term, this election is already proving to be a watershed in the political history of Manipur. The rebels are deploying considerable resources to influence the voters so that MPP returned with a majority of the seats in the next Assembly. They are doing it indirectly but are using all the tricks in their bags. Their main strategy seems to be to slow down as many active Congress Party workers as possible. And right now there are mostly straight fight between the candidates of the MPP and the Congress candidates in most of the constituencies. So slowing down active Congress Party workers would mean empowering the MPP candidates. But the rebels are proving to be far too smart than they are usually credited for. They are deploying all these tricks so unobtrusively!

I’ll come more on these in the following days. But here I should not fail to mention that the hailstorm of the 1st have a remarkable effect on the electioneering, at least! The hailstorm brought drizzles to Imphal and it only subsided two days back. It was cold and wet and terribly depressing. So depressing that we could not find even a remote hint that there would be an election after 10 days—so completely quite!!

Even tonight, as I’m typing this, it is so quite in Imphal. It appears that most of the voters have already decided who would be the winners! We should try to be humble in front of the collective wisdom of the folks—the power of the crowd!!

No comments: