Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Mami Numit

I’ll start with a dose of straight talk. They call it ‘Mami Numit’. Is it elegant? No way. I don’t like the name.

Did I forget to mention the name of the first Manipuri film that was screened publicly on the 9th of April 1971? It was ‘Matamgi Manipur’. It was produced by Mr Karam Amumacha and directed by a Bengali gentleman. We have Aribam Syam sharma as the music director. Surprisingly, he was also a cast member, playing a major role of a patriarch of a typical Manipuri family. I should add here that they had screened the movie after the formal conclusion of the main ceremony. I wanted to watch the movie in full but it was actually cold in the theatre. And I should also add that the theatre we are talking about is of the Manipur Dramatic Union, Yaiskul. Hesitantly, I had to leave the theatre after about an hour into the movie. Right now, it is raining in Imphal and it drags the temperature down. Well, it is cold here and I’m typing this in my woolen cloths, which I had to pull out of my closets all over again!

A nugget we should not miss here that Aribam Syam Sharma in his speech themed on ‘Birth of Manipuri Cinema’ told the gathering he was a hesitant cast member. The artist who was cast for the role did not turn up. And they were in Calcutta, shooting most of the film indoors! Most unfortunately, they were also in a budget and so could not afford to wait for the artist to turn up. So, he was literally forced into the role! He accompanied the film crew as a music director with the plan of quickly finished processing the film in Calcutta itself.

I should not fail to note here that he was great in his role as the patriarch of a Manipuri family. Going by my hour into the movie, he has formidable screen presence.

From his speech it’s clear that the whole cast members of the movie moved to Calcutta to shoot the entire length of the film in and around Calcutta, mostly indoors. Their main objective was to save money!

As I watched the movie for an hour it occurred to me there was this sense of ethereal and dreaminess about it.

Is it because they were trying to portray a typical Manipuri family by using locales and properties belonging to Calcutta? My point is: Did they fail to shake off the Bengali ambience, other than letting the cast members speak in Manipuri?

Or, am I unduly influenced by Aribam Syam Sharma’s speech?

No comments: