Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Somethng's not normal.

In the morning, I just came out of the bank and had started to walk towards the footpath. As I reached the footpath, 2 other men, coming in a motorbike, had also just taken the first steps on the footpath, almost colliding with me.

Then, a funny thing happened.

One of the men took his first steps on the footpath, stopped, looked left and right towards the streets and said, with a look of consternation in his face:

“Why I got this feeling that there is a bandh-like element in the airs”?

That means I’m not alone. For several months now, I’ve not been able to shake off this uneasy feeling that something definitely strange and mysterious spectre is hanging over the Imphal airs.

Is that a premonition of an impending danger?

Do people sense that some unpredictable fate awaits them just around the corner?

On some days, I walked down a street, looked around and somehow got flinched. I got this nasty feeling that something was terribly wrong. A sense of eeriness is certainly palpable.

Now, cut to the evening. A friend called me and said that he would pick me from my house for evening tea out somewhere. We went to Thangal Bazar area and ate omelets and had teas in a roadside stall. We talked and talked.

When we rose to return home, it was a little later than 8 pm. We drove along the Kangla Park Street. Looking intently ahead on the street, my friend suddenly said, not particularly to me:

“ It’s strange. Feel like something is not normal”.

No comments: