Thursday, May 25, 2006

I like this

I like the following comment (so long!) from this blog. I’m fairly regular to that blog but it’s the first time that I meet the commentator, JMC. I’m re-producing nearly half of the comment. If you like to read in full, here is the link.

___________________________
"When nativists and racists talk about preserving white american culture, what excatly are they talking about?..what is white culture? If we trace back cultural origins of white americans to their ancestors would they reflect anything of their contemporary decendants? It seems to me that white culture in america is really the shedding of cultural ties and taking new ones."I'm not David, and I'm certain he'll get to you, but, I do have some thoughts that might help as a result of my personal expeience at the center of the cultural hurricane. First some background:My mother was english(anglo-norman) and german(pensulvania dutch). My father was-God knows what, I never knew him-but there is no shortage of ignorant wankers wanting to"tell me what I am":black, hispanic, indian, whatever ancestry triggers anxiety in the observer of light tan skin. Lovely for UV protection, but makes individuality a bit opaque. Ethnicly I am of Eutropean decent, but it wasn't until I embraced my working-class roots and fried my dark brown hair punk blond that people actually see ME most of the time. Really, it's strange. My features-european/mediteranian/hispanic/god-knows are exactly the same, my speaking patterns-mostly coastal with a bit of British working class-though I get a bit toff understress, exactly the same. And my dress-subdued urban punk with a bit of goth, exactly the same, but now I'm blond, and, even though it's obviously fake, people are nicer to me. I'm open to any explainations for that one.Now to Matt O.'s questions about "white culture":Very perceptive. The "culture" specififcally being adopted is usually commerialism or rabid nationalism, both pathetic substitutes for ethnicity. Part of the problem is that, in the States, there seems to be a higher than normal level of confusion between ancestry, ethnicity and nationality- even amoung the "educated liberal" set. Briefly:Ancestry is who your genetic ancestors are. It includes genotype-your actual DNA, and phenotype, the DNA you express, or your appearance.Ethnicity is the cultural group your were raised by/ were influenced by and--most imprtantly--that you identify with.Nationality is the political/ economic govermment entity managing the country were you maintain citizenship. For most of human history people rarely traveled farther than five miles from their place of birth, so they usually married/mated with someone who looked more or less like them. Thus, for most of human history ancestry, ethnicity and nationality were the same thing. This is no longer the case.As to "white culture", I have always maintained there is no such thing. It was an invention of the wealthy landholders in early america who needed an excuse to say they were better than the Indians. Think about it; they came from an aristocratic system where they could always say they were better than the lower classes because of "breeding". And they certainly weren't going to walk their talk on "all men are created equal". What and admit they're better off because they have land and money?

No comments: