Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Blog blocked!

Only last night I found out that I could not see my blog although I could still create post on it.

Day before yesterday I came across a girl blog from Sikkim and that day she made a post about the blocking of blogs on blogger. But I could still access her blog. So, I was a bit confused. She also said that she could still create post on her blog on blogger. She said that she could see her only through a proxy server.

Today’s Statesman front paged a story about the blocking of blogs on blogger. It was a pretty detailed report carrying condemnations across the world, mainly by influential bloggers from the US. It said the department of telecommunications only instructed the ISPs to block thirteen sites which presumably include a blog on blogger. But all of ISPs do not have the technology to block a single blog from among the blogs which have similar url ie blogspot.com. So, they resorted to a blanket block on all the blogs.

Times of India have also a similar story.

To my mind, the terrorist outfits might have used blogs as a means of communications for their sinister plans. So, this blanket block is required.

But the government should block blogs, for that matter, any other sites. There should be free flow of information.

I think there should be some forms of protest against this blatant suppression of citizen’s right to information.

Any idea??

No comments: