Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Just on these days. Just in time.

This is not an accusation or some exercises in wasting valuable time and bytes at finding faults of others. May be, it’s just a rant. And I’m sick of finding faults of others or accusing anybody, of incompetence, or of being evil. I’m in the moods for some actions and making a tiny a change, if possible.

But think of this. Opting out of cable means that I’ve been waiting for the first live telecast of the World Cup by doordarshan’s national network ( ie, by a terrestrial network).Last night, when I returned home ( before 7 pm) I found that there was no electricity in my house. But some of my neighbours’ houses were gaily lighted up. So, I rushed to the phone and rang up the ‘complaint room’. The guy at the other end coldly told me that I had to go without electricity because there was a major breakdown. But I retorted that some of my neighbours’ houses were still lighted up brightest by their electricity! The guy told me that the breakdown was in one particular part of the network which supplied power to my house.

My goodness! What about the soccer tonight, I shouted into the phone.

There was no reply but just a wry laugh at the other end of the phone.

Damn it! I’ve been waiting for the last 30 days or so and now that stream of electrons refuses to come into my house!

Just on this day. Just in time.

I actually counted the numbers of households. All the seven houses to the South of my house were in pitch darkness and all the households to the North, all lighted up gaily.

And when it was around 9 into the night, one particular neighbour came out a long bamboo pole and went on to switch on to the power lines which did not suffer the breakdown. He loosen the tight wrapping of his domestic lines on to the main power lines and with the help of the bamboo pole started finding the working lines by trial and errors. With one trial he shouted very loudly—‘ Is it ok?’. No, came with a booming shout from his house. After several nos, finally came the yes and his house was lighted up and he went on to watch the soccer semi final!

But as I returned exhausted from my sister’s ‘eepan’, I had not the energy to emulate my adventurous neighbour!

And, when I went to bed at around midnight ( last night what I did was cooking the dinner, eating it and brushing my teeth—but it was still around midnight when I went to bed—what’s wrong with me?), I heard another of my neighbours trying out a portable generator. I know for certain that he did not own a generator. He probably hired one earlier in the night! Hard workers here!!

The next day ie, today, I again waited for the highlights in Doordarshan. It was a one hour affair starting from 4 in the evening. Just when I was about to switch on the TV, the light simply went out! Again I was on the phone and the official at the phone told me there was planned outrage from 4 pm to 9.30 pm. He went on to say that he could not help me.

What do you call this? Coincidence?? Conspiracy???

No comments: