Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Turning back!

I hardly slept 5 hours waking up early in the morning to go to a friend’s place. I went to his place on my bike (I mean, bicycle). When I was near his place, all the while exercising my thigh muscles riding the bike, this friend of mine just whizzed past me from the opposite direction, not seeing me, nor hearing me shouting at him.

I had to turn back and return home empty handed.

While riding the bike it occurred to me that I was in the mood for cooking for yummy dishes. So, I planned in my head to go buying a whole variety of veggies. I wanted to walk to the marketplace. So, grabbing a bag, I came out of my house but another of my friend was there waiting for me. He is the one who wants to sell furniture and he wanted to get my ‘inputs’ regarding the design of his display room. Unexpectedly, I spent nearly an hour discussing various designs with him. By then, my shopping moods were totally soured.

Turning back home, I cooked eggs and potato.

After lunch, I hurried back to my computer to give finishing touches to a piece of English to Manipuri translation for yet another of my friend. I did that and so satisfied, I was on a blog post by Brad DeLong about China. I sailed through that post and was right in the middle of comments where I was beginning to enjoy myself immensely. Just then the light went out. Dutifully shutting down the computer, I went to the next task.

The task is to go to a library to seek the copy of the Times of India of 24th July. I got the key of the bookshelf from the caretaker (no librarian—it’s a sort of small reading room) and started pulling out the back copies of the paper. But the particular copy of the particular paper was nowhere to be found. I tried several times but in vain. And, the caretaker was fuming finding a copy of his papers missing.

I told myself not to get discouraged. Because the next planned task is to go to the theatre!
Actually, I’ve been planning for this occasion for some days now. Because it is the play by Kanhailal. Most of the time, Kanhailal’s plays are staged at his own playhouse in the Langgol hills. But the hill road leading to his playhouse is usually deserted by dusk and something always tells me that the road is not safe after dark. So, I miss most of his plays. But this evening’s play is to be staged at JN Dance Academy.

But, when I reached there at around 5 minutes to 6 pm, which is, by the way, is the scheduled time, there was not a single soul! Not even an announcement for postponement or cancellation. In fact, the hall itself seemed to be under lock and key!

So, I turned back again towards my lonely home!

No comments: