Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What's in a name!

I asked my brother-in-law to tell me the name of my nephew. He replied that astrologer had recommended two names—Loyamba or Ataangba. It was a surprise for me because astrologers usually recommend Sanskrit names. It’s the first time for me to hear that they actually recommend non-Sanskrit names. One of nephew’s aunts wants to call him Lanchenba.

Back home, it occurred to me that combining all the three names produced a classy name. Loyamba Ataang Lanchenba Leishangthem! I’ll certainly recommend the name to his parents. But my guess is that they will just smile at my suggestion and will proceed to choose one of the three. But they should really go for some classy stuff!

I don’t know the idea behind the name Firedoglake. But it’s still a very hip name.

And don’t you think that MSN need to change its name to compete with likes of Google and Yahoo in the web services space? MSN still sounds like NBC, ABC or CBS. I mean, it still sounds like an old media company.

Once, Isaac Aasimov was interviewed and was asked what the secret about his success in sci-fi writing is. Surprisingly, he replied that it was all to do with his name. As he was a Russian Jew immigrated to the US, his publishers pressured him really hard to change his name into something which is a bit Americanized. He resisted all the way. He said that if he happened to buckle under the pressures he would be just another sci-fi writer!

I’m also counting on my name. Whether I put my name in Bengali or Manipuri or Roman scripts, it’s still echaandam ( I mean ‘e’ is phonetically common to all the scripts). I should not really praise my stuffs in a public space. But I should say that it happens to be versatile at the least.

No comments: