Sunday, September 24, 2006

3rd day

Today is the 3rd day of shopping trip and I’ve not yet bought anything!

This evening I went looking for some t-shirts. I went as far as Dewlaland. On my way back, I notice a sign board for ‘Convergent Technology—broadband provider’. It’s coming up in the premises of Manipur Baptist Church. From the road, I saw hectic activities, including an installation of a tower, which looks like some kind of satellite receiver.

It’s a very welcome development. But, will they be able to get the critical mass of subscribers to stand in its own feet against the offerings of big phone companies? For one, for a phone company, broadband is what they call the value added product, a specialized product among the mundane bread and butter offerings. When I last went to BSNL office, there were about 200 applicants for broadband, forming the roll of what you call the ‘waiting list’. It was some months back. Now, let’s assume that the number doubles to 400 during those months. Again, let’s assume that the new broadband provider gets the double that figure ie, 800 as their customers. Can there be a full scale provider for just 800-1000 subscribers?

Another downside is that it is coming up in the space vacated by Big Byte Infosys, which served as the franchisee for NE Line, a privately run ISP. Their service was so bad that it was a joke. Naturally, they, at least their Manipur franchisee, closed shop.

But I think we must wish them luck.

And, somebody should wish me luck in the shopping trips!

I tried several white t-shirts at numerous stores. But somehow I did not like any one of them. I don’t know why. Is it the cut of the shirts or is it the feel of the fabrics?

I’m seriously thinking of carrying the measurement of my favourite t-shirt in my future shopping trips! And, now, I’m going to look for white and yellow t-shirts.

I’m not in a hurry. I’ll try to find the ones I like during the next few days.

No comments: