Saturday, May 12, 2007

Is this a techie speak?

Since Sunday night I have not been able to use the ADSL access. Even after plugging the phone line via the ADSL splitter, I could not log in. I was so pissed off that I tinkered with the setting of the router. I’ve a small booklet given by BSNL detailing how to configure the router, which happens to have a separate IP no. Following the step by step instructions given there I rebooted the router. In the process I selected an ADSL protocol which was there in default mode. There are five different protocols listed there like PPPoE, Select an IP address automatically etc.

Which one of the listed protocols is deployed by BSNL for their broadband service? I have no idea but still I rebooted the router selecting a protocol!

So, I went to the building housing the techies of BSNL, which is a fortress guarded by armed paramilitary round the clock. I persuaded an armed guard to let me in—I told him I could not use my broadband since Sunday and I got to meet a techie to solve the problem.

So, I was inside the air-conditioned housing all the servers for the Imphal node. There sitting on a swivel chair is the tech chick! Whenever I ring up help desk, she was usually there answering me. She is not actually a looker but very feminine.

I recounted her how one of my friends tinkered with the router, rebooting it in the process. I lied to her! But that was a harmless one deployed mainly to speed up the rebooting my router by BSNL techie. She told me to come with the router tomorrow. No, no, I told her, I would come with the router right away!

I rushed backed home, quickly unplugged all the cables and hurried back to the techies’ place and handed the router to the lady.

She took the router and told me that she would reboot it together with my user name and password directly into their servers!

I think that was meant to position my broadband access as an ‘always on’ type. But right at the moment it is not happening and I’m not still able to get access to the broadband.

Should I meet her again?

To facilitate answering this question, I should not fail to give you an anecdote! While she was busy rebooting the router, I also mentioned my problem not able to change my password. I told her that I tried several times but somehow the DataOne website refused to accept my new password. I also told her about this problem over the phone several times. Each time she advised me to try some days later!

This time, she suddenly looked me in the eyes and dazzled me with one those rarest girlie smiles and told me—

‘ May be, that password is destined not to be changed at all’!

Is this a techie speak?

No comments: