Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bird flu in Imphal?

It’s not official yet but it’s almost confirmed that the virus was detected in a small poultry farm in Thangmeiband area.

I got the news this fast because I happened to just drop into the office of one of my friends who has a farm. It was dusk and I found him in his office extremely dejected. I asked him what’s the problem with me and he told me the story.

The story goes on like this. Blood samples of the said farm were couriered to the Bhopal lab by a veterinary doctor from the Vety Deptt, Government of Mnaipur. I don’t get the details but I suspect that if they took that trouble of couriering the samples with a vety doc, they might had some preliminary findings that the farm might just have the virus. The lab in Bhopal is the only lab in India which confirmative test on bird flu.

The Bhopal lab informed directly to the Union Government in Delhi about the test results. It’s because they learnt some lesson from the recent outbreak of the virus in Nasik. In Nasik, when they heard the confirmative results from Bhopal, all the poultry farmers actually shifted birds out of the 12 kms radius of the outbreak. It’s mandatory that all the birds within the 12 kms radius of the outbreak should be culled. Here, it means that all the birds within Imphal should be culled.

So, the joint secy in the deptt of agriculture of the Union Govt had telephoned the director, vety deptt here twice today enquiring about the preparations for the culling.

My friend told me that some culling equipments actually were transported to Imphal this evening by air.

I suspect that I might just the first person to put this news in black and white but I don’t doing this. It’s because some of the friends have farms and it’s almost certain their flocks have to be culled. This means they are out of the business for some months at least.

But I also think that if the virus is actually amidst us, everybody should chip in to restrict the virus from spreading further.

No comments: