Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Rule bending

There were very interesting series of letters in the column of “Letters to the Editor” of the Sa-ngai Express, English edition. I checked (well, not so thoroughly!) but could not find the letters online.

I intended to bring the letters verbatim here in this blog. So, I went prepared with pen and paper in the reading room this evening. But I could find only back copies of the Manipuri edition. As I read the letters in the English edition of the paper there in the reading room itself, I was a little bewildered by the wholesale disappearing acts of the papers.

The caretaker was also a little fidgety but he told me the truth. He told me one the senior members of the society which runs the reading room took the English edition of the Sa-ngai Express to his home when they closed the room!

It is certain that one of the senior members of the society bends the rules they themselves formulate which is that all the reading materials are meant to be used within the confines of the reading room. But why doesn’t he bring the papers the following day when he came back to the room. He does come to the room daily.

I still intend to bring the letters here. So, I’ve to find the back copies of the papers somewhere else.

Yesterday’s papers carried a very important announcement by the Government Manipur. Its officials told the media that there would not be power cuts during daytime, though the rolling blackouts during nighttimes would continue as usual.

But there was power outrages most of the times in the afternoon! Important announcement indeed!!

No comments: