Tuesday, July 24, 2007

UAV show in Imphal!

The show started at around 5.30 in the evening!

I had just reached home with a pack of flavoured green tea by Tetley when I heard a very unnatural yet familiar sound.

It’s familiar because I spotted it flying around Imphal night sky several months ago. All of the previous sightings were during night times. Aside of the yellow and red lights, I could not see anything. So, I could not be sure if it was a UAV or just another turboprop plane.

But this evening, I could clearly see it. At 5 in the evening, the sunlight is low in intensity and there is no glare. Above that, it was cloudy—but not with blackish clouds. The clouds were more or less lighted by the rays of the setting sun and the UAV was flying beneath them. That makes a perfect viewing experience.

I was sure it was a UAV because it was so thin that there was no possibility of any people sitting inside it. It was comparatively slow moving flying machine.

But how do I connect with today’s one with those I sighted during night times several months ago? It is the sound. They all emitted the same sound.

The sound has the ring of toy plane in it but hugely louder.

As I first saw it, it was heading towards Churachandpur side, cutting the Imphal skyline right in the middle. After some minutes, it was just a speck of a flying object in the Southern horizon. Then, it returned, circling the Imphal in a clockwise direction.

It kept circling the Imphal valley for nearly 30 minutes, many times in smaller circles, covering the Eastern skyline and then, Northern. Several times it circled in large circles covering all of Imphal skyline. It did the circling always in a clockwise direction.

After about 30 minutes of making circles, it headed towards Churachnadpur.

Then, it was gone.

No comments: