Monday, July 02, 2007

Primacy of software

Why should I show such an out-of-place interest in an equally expensive toy like the iPhone?

I’m not in a mood for flaunting toys like iPhone. I’m still using a basic phone. I’m not interested in a 20k rupees phone.

My whole plan behind buying a mobile device is to jump out of the vicious circle of unpredictable power supply and the resultant loss of productivity. As soon as the power supply goes off I would like to boot up my mobile device and continue working. I don’t like the prospect of investing in rechargeable batteries—it’s cumbersome and also expensive.

As I began searching for the device it dawned on me that a device which is a phone and also a powerful computer with a screen size of 7” and battery life of 5-6 hours is about to gate crash in this world of cumbersome laptops and notebooks and clunky phones! I’ve been totally immersing myself in the search of that device for several weeks now.

Now, looking at the iPhone what strikes me most is its sublime melding of hardware and software but with the primacy of cleverly written software. In future a phone ( or a mobile device) will be all about supplying a great user experience with the help of cleverly written software.

That presents us with totally disruptive questions like:

>> Can we trust a Motorola or a Sony with its software?

I try asking that myself and find that it’s very difficult question to answer. On a personal level I can count only 3 entities—people at Google, folks behind Skype, Kaaza and Joost and nerds of the murky world of Torrents as capable of wrting really clever software which can supply great user experience.

Now, Intel is also coming out with its own MID (mobile internet device). We can still ask ourselves: Can we trust Intel with its software? Even in the case Intel, I find the question still very difficult to answer.

In short, we can sense a lot of disruptions in the coming days. Naturally, I’ll keep searching so that I can future proof my mobile device!

No comments: