Saturday, April 05, 2008

A meeting to discuss the recent violence.

I went to a meeting organized by Manipur Forward Youth Front (MAFYF) at the Press Club. It was named ‘Citizen’s conference on violence in Manipur’.

It was the first meeting organized by a Civil Society Organization to discuss the recent spurt of violence here. I came to know of the meeting from yesterday’s newspapers, all of which carried it as a news item. Some of the papers inserted it into far inside the inner pages and made it as innocuous as possible. I still wonder why.

I was late there. As far as the speakers I had had the chance to listen to are to be taken into account, nobody seemed to have any clue about the recent violence. Everybody said they hate violence. All of them blamed the government. That is routine, cliché.

It seems that our society is still in bewilderment by the sudden impact of the recent spurt of violence. It is yet to size it up and dissect it to find the appropriate antidote.

I still remember MAFYF launching it site at www.mafyf.org. I have no idea if they are still updating the site.

No comments: