Monday, April 21, 2008

That little girl from Delhi

‘Oh! Poor Mamo’, my niece said.

That was my niece when she first saw me after—how many years?—nearly 5 years. Her mum, my eldest sister, studied at Vanarasi just after she left her school. That must be nearly 10 years of her student life. As soon as she got her masters degree she stayed at our home only for some brief months before she got married. As soon as she got married, she and her hubby stayed again for only some brief months in Imphal before they set sail for Delhi.

We, at the family, got so used to her staying so far away from home that when she got married we didn’t feel particularly any emptiness at our home. When my other sisters married away, we always felt some spaces emptied out.

Our original schedule was to invite my niece at my house at Keisampat, mainly because my house is easy to reach from all sides of Imphal, where all my sisters are scattered! But my youngest sis had a crisis (my last post). Although she and her family came out unscathed from it, we decided that it was not proper for her to go out so soon after the crisis.

So, this morning, we all went to my youngest sister’s place, cooked delicious chicken and said goodbye to that busy little girl from Delhi, who has to catch another flight tomorrow to appear in yet another entrance test.

She was here to appear in another of her entrance tests.

When she phoned me last afternoon, she was over with her exam and was shopping. She wanted to visit me at my house but I was at the reading room of Central Library when I received her call. When she said she was shopping, I instantly knew that she must be at the Paona International Market.

When she first saw me, she said that I was so thin and she continued with a distinct maternal undertone that the reason for me looking so thin must be because I live alone and there was no one to cook for me!

I still remember how I used to hold her as a cute little baby and now she has that maternal undertone!

Every girl, regardless of her present age, grows up, it seems, with that maternal instinct deeply buried inside her.

No comments: