Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sudden impacts

I’ve been avoiding the Paona Bazar Road for quite sometime now. Now, there is a parallel road right on the Nambul banks. This road is also not blacktopped but not dusty. In contrast, the Apaona Bazar Road was so dusty that I usually had a major bout of sneezing while I was still on that stretch of roads!

But, yesterday, all the dust seemed to have vanished into thin airs so suddenly.

My point is that I have been walking on the parallel road several times on a daily basis. But I did not notice any lessening in the degree of clouds of dusk kicked up by the feet of the pedestrians and, by the wheels, of the two wheelers, three wheelers and cars.

But yesterday, I found out that all the dust had gone. Does nature have a way of presenting her decisions in so a sudden manner? Like, a sudden impact of an assassin’s bullet?

For no particular reason, I stated thinking of global warming. We’ve been reading about the increasing emission of green houses gases but still, kept on producing them so nonchalantly. Would we find out, on a fine (let’s say, not so fine day!) morning, that the climate has changed so suddenly, and that too, on a scale beyond our imagination? Would that happen?

We can also see another sudden impact. All the Imphal streets are literally knocked out of space by the crawling pedestrians, commercial passenger vehicles and cars. Even the street towards Singjamei, which is being widened more than 50% of the original breadth, has now already become a congested one. A street becoming congested while it’s being widened! What do you call this?

I, foe one, did not notice any gradual increase in the size of the traffic on the streets. It all seems to happen so suddenly.

Is this a nature’s way?

No comments: