Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My sis and Ima Keithel

My sis returned to Delhi today.

I'm not sure of her but her kids considered Delhi their home. They were born and raised up in Delhi. So, this is natural for the kids to feel Delhi their home.

Several years ago, the whole family came down here. The two kids stared at us and said aloud, like calling out a name-- 'Manipur'. There was something about it that was funny but at the same time thought provoking.

Did the word 'Manipur' a challenge to their to their notion of 'rootedness'in Delhi?

This time the kids are busy in their school and college. Inspite their absence, my sis seemed to devour every minute of her stay here.

She made a point to visit every family member--both from our paternal and maternal side.

My house served as a strategic launching pad to spin out in every direction for visting the family members! One day she returned to the 'pad'visibly excited. She sat down and started her story.

I was there with two of other sisters.

She told us that she had just returned from visting an aunt. This aunt happened to be the one to whom our grandma gifted the one 'shop space'( Is this the correct term?) in Ima Keithel. She told her that she would take that 'shop space' to start her business when she returned from Delhi.

This made me laud out aloud. It's a little hard for me to imagine my sis among the womenfolk in Ima Keithel tending her small business!

But, my other two sisters got animated about hearing it. RIGHT! WE SHOULD TAKE BACK THAT 'SHOP SPACE'.

Isn't it an eyeopener?

All the dazzles of Delhi seem incapable of snapping the primordial ties of Manipouri women with Ima Keithel.

No comments: