Sunday, March 25, 2007

One detail.

I wanted to note this detail in my last post itself. But I was so in a hurry. I’m sorry that I have to continue to post in a hurry for some times to come.

Nobody has no clear idea what’s actually happening in and around Khengjoi. It is the region where there was this continuing accusation and counteraccusation regarding the herding of some 400 Kuki villagers inside some pre-arranged camps inside Burma. First accusation was that this was done by a particular rebel group of Manipur with the open participation of Burmese Army. The rebel group invited some media personnel to show that the villagers were where they should be—in their villages.

The media personnel go there when either the rebels groups or the Indian military want to show something to them. There is no independent reporting from the region.

So, when I said there might be an emerging military stalemate, it’s all my personal conjecture. But all these exercises remind me of one particular press handout by PIB(Defence Wing).

It told the story of how one Lt Col of Indian military met his end in the Khengjoi region. One fine morning, this Lt Col noticed that there were some unusual leaf movements just at the vicinity of his camp. He quickly summoned his soldiers and ordered to fire some rockets at the spot. The soldiers did fire the rockets but in their haste, the first projectile itself hit a tree branch nearby, recoiled back and exploded near them.

The Lt Col got a direct hit from the explosion of the rocket.

Finally, the press handout noted that it was an accident and it had nothing to do with rebel fire!

But going through the press handout clearly convey the underlying uneasiness amongst the soldiers of the Indian army in the battle fields in and around Khengjoi.

As I had already noted in my last post, there might just be a military stalemate developing there.

No comments: