Monday, March 05, 2007

UnYaoshang!

There was nothing in the streets that remotely reminded me of what Yaoshang used to be. No color powders around. No gangs of youths roaming the streets. Nothing. It’s business as usual in the streets. Rickshaws were plying on the streets. I even had a friend visiting me in the morning. He told me that buses were also plying on the streets but not as many as on a normal day.

I must hasten to add that they were as I observed around Keisampat area. I did not go out today and so I cannot talk about the scenes in other areas. But I suspect the scenes should be more or less similar with what’s happening in the Keisampat area.

I’m not particularly against Yaoshang or not celebrating the lukewarm celebration of the festival right now. But what totally surprised me is the abruptness of the transformation, nay demise, of the festival right now here. I know there are still 2 or 3 days to be observed before I can properly use the words like ‘demise of the festival’. But I feel that it is for real and we will see it coming in the next few days also.

I cannot find a better word. What we are having right now is ‘unYaoshang’.

No comments: