Tuesday, March 06, 2007

With a correction.

When my friend told me (in my last post) that there were few buses plying in the streets, it was an overstatement. Even today I saw rickshaws, autorickshaws and jeeps carrying passengers but a very few buses. All the buses seemed to be reserved for ferrying elderly folks to ‘konung’ for ‘pala’. But in the streets, there was no sign of Yaoshang. So, there was no obstruction in the economic activities. It seems that Yaoshang has shifted its venues to ‘Konung’ and temples and ‘thabal grounds’, which in either case is a better deal.

And there is frenzy of ‘thabal’ this Yaoshang but this frenzy is going to last for 5 days only. But right now there seems to be ‘thabal’ everywhere. Very lively ‘thabals’ all around.

Another interesting development this time is emergence of the perceptible signal announcing the likely decline of the ‘Yaoshang sports’. In my neighbourhood I could count only 3 or 4 rallies carrying the torches from Kangla for the inauguration of the sports events in various leikais. In most past Yaoshangs, the streets were normally chockfull of such rallies.

Nowadays, parents are priming their wards from a very age for sports as a career. This again results in the emergence of professionals for handling this market. In such a scenario, amateurish events like ‘Yaoshang sports’ are becoming passé.

But ‘Ima keithel’ is more or less deserted. I could buy fish and vegetables but the market itself looked deserted. It seems that all the elderly folks are having difficult time in getting rid of the sweet fragrance of ‘Yaoshang’ of their youths!

Still, I think I’m living in the midst of momentous inflection points of this society.

No comments: