Sunday, June 18, 2006

1 pm.

The streams of men and women coming for giving floral tributes started petering off at around 2 pm.

I reached there at around 1 pm. (I took a short nap and I woke up at around noon.)

They erected a gate at the North A O C point from where you enter Kekru Pat and another one at Minuthong. And here I’m correcting myself. At the previous post I said that only road to the memorial site is from Minuthong—it was not. The roads leading to Minuthong from Hatta and khurai are also blocked to traffic. The road opened is the one coning from the Khuman Lampat Stadium.

Imphal is shut down. And so many policemen are posted all over the place.

This time I cycle my way to the site because cycles are not blocked! So I went there from North AOC side and parked my cycle just near police party posting there and walked upto Minuthing. From the bridge you can watch the perennial streams men and women, all clad in whites, literally flowing towards the memorial site.

Then I searched for a place to eat my lunch. Actually, I was lucky to find a hotel because they were not open for business but they gave me something from what they were cooking for themselves. Well, they cooked beef really well! All shops are closed for business today.

Then, I went inside the memorial site. I just crossed the North AOC-Minuthong Street from the hotel I was eating and you got there.

This is the first time I really stepped inside the site. It is well developed and the work seems to be still going on. A fresh brick wall is erected to separate the site from the AOC-Minuthong Street giving way inside the site from two freshly installed gates. Once inside, you find that there are newly erected wire-netting fences all around—separating the site from Imphal river in the East and, from Kangla in the South. From the entrance you are led straight to the small bundh where there are the 18 memorial gravestones. To the North of the bundh there is the portion of the Kangla moat, also freshly developed and to its South you get a moderately-sized lawn where they are organizing a function.

There is huge number of people. They erect three barricades at three different places to control the crowd. They let in a group of people only after another has finished offering their floral tributes. All in all, they manage the event well enough.

So, what’s the highlight? Anything off beat??

Well, it may in the negative sense but I wonder what are the troopers of the Assam Rifles, with their assault are doing there? So many CRPF personnel are in duty besides the Manipur police but that’s ok. But the troopers?

There was one apparently high ranking officer who stationed himself inside a ‘shamiana’ along the higher ground leading Minuthong and coolly went on to eye the whole proceeding with curiosity and interest written all over his face.

He was still there under the ‘shamiana’ when I left the place at around 3 pm.

No comments: