Tuesday, June 20, 2006

To the library

Whenever I went to Manipur University library, I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible. And I read whatever I liked and fled the scene.

But a week or so ago, the librarian of the MU library was speaking to the media. (I can’t remember what occasion prompted him to meet the media). He told the media that after the burning down of the State Central library (a heinous crime by the supporters of the Meetei script; I won’t be able to find any ground to justify the burning down of any library—ever), a large number of outsiders (meaning, not of the University) started visiting his library. He emphasized that all are welcomed.

So, when I went to the MU library today I strode into it like an honored guest!

During my 1 hr stay at the library, I learnt the following few things:

>>Nowadays, a sure indicator of middle class is the immobility. If you stay put in your town or city, it’s a sure sign that you belong to the middle class or the other classes below the middle one.

>>In an interview, the Nobel winning Iranian lady (damned name! I always fail to note down the name!!) said that it’s patriarchal society, not Islam, which leads to the conditions of women in a Muslim society. Do you not want to retort that mix the patriarchal society and Islam and then you get hell for women? She also noted that 60% of the college going students in present day Iran is girls. She did not elaborate what happened to the boys.

>>She also asked the West, especially, the Americans to remember that Iran has 2500 years old history. If the great Persian history is a little more than 2000 years, then Manipur having a 2000 years old history might have some surprises for the rest of the world. I may sound like a hard core nationalist but what I’m doing here is a little old induction!

In the University campus a lot of constructions are going on. It’s a good feeling seeing all those works going on in the campus.

And in Singjamei bazaar, all the buildings near the street were all knocked down and constructions for the two drainages along the sides of the widened streets are going on. The pace seems to be too tardy.

No comments: