Sunday, June 18, 2006

8 am

I reached Kekru Pat around 8 am and spent nearly one hour there.

People were already queuing up there for giving floral tributes to the brave men and women who laid down their lives on this day 5 years back.

Thoudam Dvevendra, a minister and elected representative of Jiribam and the speaker, Maniurddin Sheikh arrived at around the time I reached there. Then they went away after giving floral tributes at around 8.30 am. That means it takes at least 30 minutes to get through the queue even for a VIP.

Another luminary who arrived just after Thoudan Devendra walked past the entrance is Ratan Thiyam. And he left at least 10 minutes later than the minister. I like the way Ratan came there—he arrived there quietly, like just another private citizen with two companions and left the place without any fuss. So, for an ordinary private citizen it will take at least 40 minutes to pass through the queue.

The government has gone out of its way to tightly control the crowd. All the roads towards Kekru Pat are blocked except from Minuthong, which you have to approach either from Hatta or Khurai. By their very act Imphal is almost shut down to traffic. And there is hardly any passenger bus on the road. I guess is that they are employed in ferrying people from around Mnaipur. So, the action will pick after some hours from now.

I’ll come again.

I’ll go there again and this time I’ll take some flowers with me.

No comments: