Sunday, June 25, 2006

I wonder

Today’s Imphal Free press carried a serialized piece, the first part of which stated with eulogizing Manipuri women. Interestingly, she (a muslim lady and needless to say, I forget her name!—but I’ll come to this after I go through the whole article) started with food—Manipuri food. She said yendem (taro),koukha (arrowroot?), soiboom (bamboo shoots), yongchak (tree nuts or perkia?) are all very rich with iron. So, she said that traditional Manipuri foods are just made for women.

Interesting point. I’ll come back when I read the full text next Sunday.

What caught my attention was that she neatly gave the English names of the food items she mentioned. Suddenly, I found out that I didn’t know the English names of most of our food items. I should really try to find those English names. May be, I should slowly start compiling the list and create a link for those in my blog.

I’ve bought passion fruit, pomegranate and heikha. Heikha must be of berry family and I don’t know its English name. But heikha from Mao is divine in its succulence. Just divine. And it costs you only Rs 30/- a kg.

And Manipur’s pomegranate. They are giving you three pieces for Rs 10/-. Seriously, we should be ready to fork out more rupee notes for such fruits. They are as organic as anything produced anywhere in the world by fancy brand names. In Manipur’s hills they are grown so spaced out along the ridges that there is no need for either fertilizers or insecticides. In most cases they may even be thought of as grown in the wild.

And it is amazing how quickly passion fruit catch the fancy of the citizen of the State. Now it’s almost fashionable to buy some passion fruit and carry them along in the streets in those polythene bags! I’ve heard that it has been heavily promoted in TV (Imphal DDK) but I’ve not seen a single spot of those ads. And apparently words spread out quickly that it is a rare multi-vitamin fruit. And everybody starts going after the fruit—I mean, literally!

We may even call it the receptiveness of this society to new (or, is it fanciful?) ideas. We can also see it in the case of safe sex. People quickly pick up the essentials of safe sex and we may even say there are perceptible changes in the sexual behaviour in the majority of the people.

But what about the ideas of wealth creation and need for team spirit for it? These ideas are the most urgent ones which needs to be percolated down, first to the business leaders and, then to the general public. But this is not happening.

Is this the case of lack of right promotion of the ideas? I wonder.

2 comments:

Swar Thounaojam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sunil said...

Thanks u Echaandam, It's me Sunil from Delhi who sent you Tamo Tarunkumar's Audio file through mail.I read your your blog entitled "Marvel of technology". Thank you mentioning my name. Now, here you are telling about the Yendem. I may be wrong but I hope that the meaning of Yendem should be Alocasia not Taro. I hope Taro is Pal in Manipuri. All the best. And thanks you very. Please keep on writing. It is interesting to read your blog