Thursday, August 03, 2006

A doc...a little different

The doc did not write out a prescription. I mean, that day.

That might be because I was not ill but on a getting my stomach ‘right’ foray into the clinic.

But, still, he seems to be a little different. Patients are going out in droves to the clinics and hospitals outside the State. Their main complaint against the docs here is that they usually examine their patients only for some minutes and write page-full of prescriptions! Personally, I’ve been to doctors who ask you of the complaints you are facing while his hand with the pen never leaving the notepad, apparently itching to start writing prescriptions right away. And I’ve been to several doctors, who, only after hearing me out of my complaints I was facing for, may be, 2 minutes, writes out a page-full of prescriptions. That’s it. End of treatment. What do you call this? Regardless, it is laughable.

This doc, who runs a clinic near Khuyathong, have actually put up a sign in his tiny reception room which says that any patient who is not willing to wait for time waiting for his/her turn must go to other treatment centre instead! I went to his clinic with a book and waited for my turn, beginning at around 10 am and ending at around 3 pm. His reception room is so tiny that you have to sit on the bench face to face with other patients on the opposite bench which is hardly 2 or 3 feet across. Where do you put your eyes sitting like that? So, I hid inside a book and waited for my turn.

He examined me and made the following recommendations.

>> Not a drop of milk, from now on.

>> Drink a strong tea (of course, without milk) four times a day. He told me not to boil the tea-leaf but instead boil the water (with sugar, if preferred) and pour it over the tealeaf in the cup. I wanted to ask why but I restrained myself.

>> He said, for 4 days, I had to eat only the boiled rice, no vegetables, no nothing. Instantly, it reminded of my grandmama’s remedy. When we were kids having mild diarrheas, she would mix the boiled rice with some salts and forced us to eat only that portion without vegetable and all those stuffs. As it has something to do with a grandmamma, we always think it to be ‘unscientific’ and do our best not to remember it.

Backed home I quickly stated working on to the recommendations.

I was supposed to report to him again on the 5th day. But I spent the next few weeks finding out the stuffs that prove to be allergic to me. I must give the doc the credit for enabling me to finding out those stuffs and in the process, finding out a bit new thing for myself also.

But, now, I can’t restrain myself to give you a recommendation!

Next time you find your poor stomach out of tune or yourself in the throes of a mild diarrhea, don’t rush to the nearest drugstore. Instead, boil some rice with a pinch of salt and proceed to a couch in front of your tv. The trick is to keep your eyes on your favourite drama series and keep putting mouthful of that stuff in your mouth and keep chewing it and gulping down, mouthful after mouthful.

Do it in the name of your grandmamma and you will be ok in no time!

No comments: