Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Feel good

I do really feel good that the first photograph in my blog is of Dean Kamen’s. Don’t you remember that this blog was started inspired by a blooker? And the starting day happened to be 17th of April which is an important day in students’ activism in Manipur—for me it’s an important day.

All these developments make me happy.

I still remember vividly how I waited for the unveiling of Segway to the public. I was totally enraptured by it.

I still like the machine. It may be of a little contrariness in its concept but still a masterpiece of innovation.

And technically it’s ok so far. The only problem is that it lacks cool and it gets a lot of cheap alternatives, like a lowly cycle or a roller skate.

But his generator won’t need to be hip. It only needs to keep producing electricity as promised. And we can only hope that it’s technically fit as its predecessor, the Segway.

If we get these qualifications, I think it will be a boon for underdeveloped place like ours. In the urban areas, we can still depend on the established grids and continue making improvements on them.

But we need not try to expand the grids to the far flung areas. Together with wind energy, Dean Kamen’s generators would prove an alternative to the present technologies, which are all devastating to the environment and so, to the fate of our future generations.

No comments: