Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My phone

Below is what I meant as last night’s post.

__________________________________
My phone had come to life this morning.

As soon as I published my last post, my connection to the net failed and I could not log onto it again. Until now.

I notified the ‘line staff’ about my problem on Saturday. Nothing happened on Sunday. On Monday there were two attempts by the line staff to ring me up but I could barely hear what they were telling me amidst those electronic noises. So, Monday passed like that and my phone was not still working.

But this morning, at around 8 am there was this short burst of phone ringing. I picked up the phone and there was this normal dial tone. I’m fairly confident that no line staff would be working at 8 in the morning.

So, what had happened to my phone?

And, don’t you think that there was still a story told by my silence for several days now?

The story is : if the services of BSNL fail, we are effectively cut off the internet.

But we refuse to be fazed by that. To prove that, I even went to a movie on Sunday!

I like the movie but I’m not in a mood to give you a review of it.

I’m more interested in telling you that I came out of the theatre a humbled man.

I’m one of those guys who keeps telling you,constantly and jarringly , that Manipur’s films, if confined to this State only, have no futures at all. This is certain if we look at it from the stand point of the elementary economics. Besides, it needs to break out of its mould of parochial, even though, it may still be needed to draw its inspirations from our society. Any art, be it pop or otherwise, needs to have a universal appeal.

But this breaking out seems to be happening right at this moment, unnoticed and unsung. When I was in the movie (AYUKKI LIKLA) it was totally certain that it could not be pegged to ANY particular location or geography. I was transported to a fantasy world of the characters.

To say the least, it is a remarkable transition of the cinema here.

If you are with me even at this point, why don’t you try to connect this development with those happening in the more political arena?

Now, it is fairly certain that an outside (of this society) force is behind the ISKCON grenade attack. The game plan is to implode this society.

This sinister plan came after several failed attempts to provoke this society from the outside. See the 18th June, Parbung and Lungthulien, and the recent murder of a student leader in Moreh.

With the outside forces so fixated to this society and one of its pop art in the process of breaking out of its parochial mold, it is not that adventurous to say that something tremendously significant is underway in this society.

I’m a diehard optimist!
_____________________________________

But as I was about to publish the post the connection to the net failed. I was able to log on to the network for some minutes only. When I picked up the phone, it was back to the square one—only a feeble tone with the overwhelming noises around it.

I could not log on to the net again last night.

Until now.

This morning I found my phone mysteriously working again.

No comments: