Saturday, August 05, 2006

Off to finding recipes

My grocer has flour of arrowroot, corn and bajra, besides, of course, wheat.

The corn flour is sold for Rs 35/- a kg. The corn whole grain never sells for Rs 10/- a kg. Why should there be a difference of more than Rs 25/- between the two?

The Bajra flour is for around Rs 40/- a kg. He could not say the exact price because he could not sell much of that stuff.

So, I bought a kg of arrowroot flour at Rs 28/- a kg.

But I could not make dough out of this flour. When you mix it with water, it reacts with a funny manner. It acted as if it was some gooey stuff in a sci-fi movie. Try pouring some water over arrowroot flour and see it for yourself!

So, I figured that if it is not meant for kneading into dough, the only other possibility is to cook it with some ingredients. I put it with some vegetable in a pressure cooker and cooked them.

Well, it sure smells like some medicine!

And, eating it is like eating some very oily food. I could not eat much.

But, I’m determined to find a non-rice and non-wheat food for my dinner. So, now I’m off t finding some recipe with arrowroot flour.

See ya!

No comments: