Friday, August 18, 2006

Implosion?

Last, after I finished typing out my post in Word, I found my phone was not working properly. I got only a feeble dial tone with overwhelming noises around it.

But, this morning, when I re-checked it as I was about to notify the line staff about the problem, I found it ok! Weird.

Below is what I meant as last night post.

___________________________________________________
Images of bloodied women and children. All over the front pages.

I feel deadened. I don’t feel writing anything.

But where can I run away? There is nowhere to run to.

Life is meant for slogging.

So, here we go.

Today, volunteers from AMSU staged a sit-in protest in Keisampat Junction. They were protesting against the killing of their Moreh branch president and last night’s bombing, terming them as acts of terrorism.

Are they implying that there is an implicit link between the two carnages?

So far, Meeteis have steadfastly refused to be dragged into the realm of ethnic exclusivity and hence, towards the fight of one ethnic group against another.

We can see it in the aftermath of 18th of June 2001 when they refused to turn against the ordinary Nagas. This has been re-affirmed by its responses towards various economic blockades.

Then, there came Parbung and Lungthulien. Again, they refused to turn against the ordinary Hmars.

The latest is the killing of the AMSU leader in Moreh. Again, they refused to turn against the ordinary Kukis.

So, it is reasonable to think that provocations from outside do not succeed in making the Meetei mad and attacked other ethnic neighbors.

Do some agencies try to make moves to make the Meetei society implode from within? Is last night’s bombing the first step in that move?

And, today, I went to meet several people across Imphal. All are previously planned appointments. But, I made it a point to travel by public transport.

I didn’t strike any conversation with any particular people during the travel but I could gather that most of the people are numbed by the bombing at ISKCON.

I think, like me, most of the people feel deadened by it.

No comments: