Thursday, August 31, 2006

Software cocktail

The other day, one of my friends introduced me to his bother-in-law.

He is one of those who wants to talk and talk and still talk. He talked about his business and how he tried to have a domain of the business on the web.

He is a small business owner.

He told me that consultant (who is also his friend) had told him that he had to fork out Rs 5000/- just for the domain registration.

Rs. 5000/- is too much, I told him. It should be less than Rs. 1000/-. Better still, why doesn’t he try a free hosting service?

Just had I spewed out the words, it became clear to me that I don’t like any of the free hosting service. They all look terribly static.

If Google can efface this ‘static’ look from its planned ‘Google ap for your domain’, it will be great product. Because, all the specs my friend’s brother-in-law wants in his domain seems to be included in the Google’s scheme of thing.

I think he is quite typical small business owner.

Personally, I’ve also found out that when Google Reader was added to the Google Personalized page, the resulting software becomes a very useful product. Actually, it surprised me. I’ve this feeling that when all the Google software are mixed to a cocktail to produce the ‘Google ap for your domain’ it will also become a great product. Their planned drag-and-drop scheme (already in the beta blogger), which will skirt even the minimum HTML, will also prove to be very popular and useful.

All said, I’ll admit that I’m still Google fan!

No comments: