Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fourth World blogging.

For my last post, I spent more than one hour finding that Burma link. During the search I found out some Burmese blogs. I could read one blog only but I would read more of them. From that blog I could also find out a list of Burmese bloggers.

I went all down to her Technorati profile. Reaching there I wanted to see her fave blogs and as I clicked the link, I also found out that she wanted me to add her as my fave first. I’m not blaming her for wanting that but that set me off to a thinking jaunt.

Is any opportunity to garner up enough links to blogs published from these parts of the world of ours?

Is it practical for our blogs to expect enough page views to make it feasible to monetize them?

I don’t particularly like to sound divisive but they are metrics of the First World blogs. I really feel good that many bloggers over there can live off by blogging alone. It’s a very welcome news. But here in this part of the world, we should be always on guard not to be bogged down by these metrics.

When I first came to know of blogs, what stuck me most was the possibility of it becoming a tool to bypass the barriers put up by editors, directors, politicians and, above all, by political boundaries and meet an ordinary citizen anywhere in the world. Through blogs we can feel the nuances of the ordinary lifestyles of any citizen of any country provided there is no language barrier. Personally, I find there are language barriers in cases of Iranian and French blogs. If we overlook such minor drawbacks, blogging is a revolutionary tool for ordinary citizens of the whole world to reach out to each other. Never before in the history of mankind have an ordinary citizen in his disposal a working to tool to meet face to face with his/her counterparts anywhere in the world, unhindered by the barriers put up by the power that be.

Today, I’m reminding myself that I should be more focused on this characteristic of blogging. At least for some to come, we should not be unduly worried about links and page views.

That said, I want everyone of my new post to ping on Technorati and Weblogs. That’s still to come because it entails messing around with hypertext and I’ve so little time. Another feature I want to add is the enabling of bookmarking of my post. Still to come!

Now, I’ve several months of blogging experience. On most days, I start writing stories in my head by around 7 pm. By that time, I started asking myself—‘What interesting things happened to me today?’ or ‘Is there anything I can share in my blog?’. In other words, it is personal auditing on a daily basis. It may sound a little too harsh on myself but it is proving to be good for me.

Last but not the least, as I grew up an activist, some parts of me will always have that activist streak. I simply can’t help it. So, on a personal scale, I’m terribly enthused at the idea of , at least, a simple story of a simple citizen living in this place Imphal going up as a digital etch for the whole world to see, that too updated on a day to day basis. It fulfils some parts of my personal yearning. But I’ve also pinched myself to remain as truthful to myself as possible on a daily basis and not to off to a tangent to start promoting an agenda for my place by making up stories. I will never do that. I’ll keep Imphal as it is. With warts and all. With it bandhs (now both 15th and 16th bandhs!). With its erratic internet and power supply. Like last night when it went out at around 7 in the evening. On my fourth telephone call at around 9 at night, I was informed that I had to go without electricity that night because they had just found out that there was a major repair at hand, which they could mend only when their offices open the next day.

Well, that’s re-stating my blogging ethics. I should do this on regular basis from time to time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I just discovered you mentioned my blog on your blogpost and I was surprised that you mentioned that "I wanted you to add me to your fave first"
Um, I think you got me all wrong. I honestly don't expect to make money off of my blog, esp my blog is so personal, it's like a diary. I think you might be forgetting that Technorati wanted you to add me as your fave before you can view my faves.
And so you might ask why I have google ads on my blog? I work in PR and Adv and I honestly don't think ads online are feasible because I, myself rarely click on them. And I wanted to see if that was for other people too.
BUT that qustion you pose is very interesting to me as well. "Is it practical for our blogs to expect enough page views to make it feasible to monetize them?"

echaandam said...

Hi,

So sorry for the mix up.

After my blogpost, I again went to your profile page on technorati, doubly determined to add you as my first fave blog! But this time, they skipped that step and directly led me to your fave blogs. I was pissed off but still went on to check out several of your fave blogs. Again, I was a little disappointed in finding them as mostly American blogs ( not that I don't like American and their blogs--most of my daily reads are also Americans).

To my mind, online ads are truly transparent in both their functionality and revenue sharing. It also empowers a lot of small businesses. I like them. The only sour point is that our societies has not yet that scale of internet penetration to enable this types of ads to ride on it.

That said, I also keep forgetting my not-so-serious resolution of clicking on some ads on a sort of community site for Manipuris outside their home state. I reason that I should click on some ads on their site during my daily surfing regime so that they might be compensated for the work they are doing. I think they are doing it as some sort of community work and their site is at www.e-pao.net.

My point is that people must not have clicked on them out of charity or some benovelent sense. But,when I once searched for chinese language learning, I found the ads accopnaying the results page as some kind of godsend informations. I readily clicked on all of them.

Well, there are my personal anecdotes.

In case it is not a too public a space, I like to ask you what should I call you.

Pliz call me RK. All my friends just do that!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's ok.
actually, if you look at my blog, on the right side, under links "you must go here" I have a myanmar blogger directory list.
I think right now, over 80% of them blog in Burmese, so I'm not so sure if you can read Burmese, but please feel free to browse. You can call me MM.

echaandam said...

Thought before asking you that I should call you MM!

Anyway, thank you very much.

Could not come online last night. Sorry for that.

I should start getting to know the Burmese blogging community.

Enjoying your blog also.