Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Snippets

>> Even if it looks like a log book of a utility company, it may serve a purpose! So, I got such a low voltage power last night that it barely could light up my room. I dutifully phoned the ‘complaint room’ of the electricity deptt ( yes, it is a govt-run utility service ) and got the news that there was some problem in the transformer. That meant it would be a major maintenance job which could only be taken up under the supervision of senior officers. These officers would be available during the office hours meaning we had to wait for the following day.

That’s the story of place called Imphal. A quaint place.

>> Damodar Swami of the Imphal ISKCON died in Kolkatta. We all along have got the impression from the media that he sustained only a minor injury in his arms. Now, it is clear that he never could recover from the shock of the hand grenade explosion.

Whatever his religious affiliation, Damodar was always a hero of Manipur. Son of a widow and from a small village, his rise to be an icon of this society is the stuff the fables are made of. How his extremely poor mother supports his education by selling vegetables has become folklore here.

Our hero has been slain by a mysterious grenade.

To my mind, how our hero has been slain by this mysterious grenade will have far-reaching impacts in our society, even though we may not detect it in this maddening immediacy of our life.

>> CNN has started a documentary starting this day and running up to the 14th of this month. It is named ‘The Hidden Wars of India’. It is about the insurgencies in NE India and it is reported to feature several interviews of insurgent leaders, including Sana Yaima from Manipur.

Well, you should remember that I have not a cable connection and I’m still running after a broadband account. So, I’m in a twilight zone! And, I can definitely tell you that it’s absolutely awful to be in such a twilight zone!!

>> I’m in a striking distance of acquiring a brand new scar right in my forehead! Right now, the image in the mirror is a bit out of place with the brand new scar. Will it go away after some time? Please do—PLEASE DO GO AWAY!

>> On a brighter note, the wound on my thumb is healing so fast that I’m beginning to think my relentless chase of all those anti-oxidants, trace minerals etc etc is starting to have its impact on my health. I may well be healthier nowadays. I feel good about this.

No comments: