Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A peep into the bandh mela!

It was pretty late in the morning when I woke up. But I was greeted with that sense of serenity where you feel like you just have a brush with palpable tranquility, peace and heightened well-being.

On the flip side, I also sensed like missing something.

So, I asked myself—‘Why, it’s so quite!’.

I even went out to what was previously my gated driveway and peered out through the keyhole towards the streets if something was actually wrong. I was still in my sleeping ‘outfit’ and even a little bleary eyed.

One of my friends have just finished constructing his furniture showroom ‘incorporating’ my driveway. Thus he got his ‘fair-sized’ showroom and he reasoned that the arrangement ok as I’m still living alone. Now, there is such demand for space.

By the way, he got teak furniture from Burma. They come in completely knocked down packages and they assemble them in a small workshop, also in my place. They say Burmese finishing is not so fine and so, they are going to redo the finishing all over again before they are ready for sale. Burmese teak is really gorgeous.

That’s a little digression.

Coming to the point, I didn’t forget that it was a bandh today also. Actually, today is the second day of the two consecutive days of bandh ‘feast’. May be, it’s a bandh ‘mela’!

To be a little precise, yesterday’s bandh is a bandh of ‘first among equals’ because the call was given by the umbrella body of what we call the valley-based insurgent groups. They were protesting what they termed ‘the forcible merger’ of Manipur to the Indian Union on the 15th of October 1949.

Today’s was by Apunba Lup in protest against the Govt of India’s handling of the continuing fast unto death by our ‘Nura Temsing-nabi’.

Judging by the ‘quite’ factor in the morning, today’s bandh beats the bandh called by the insurgents hands down.

Is this the case of people losing respects for the insurgents?

Or, is it the case of our society’s resounding support to the ‘Nura Temsing-nabi’?

No comments: