Sunday, June 03, 2007

On my bike!

In the evening I rode down the Singjamei roads. I was looking for some stuffs(hint: As you ride further towards Manipur University, certain stuffs get cheaper). I was on my bicycle.

There was nothing in the air to suggest that it was a summer evening. It was actually pleasant riding the bike there.

But what was surprising was that workmen were still there working on the side drainage. Why they took so long? It must be almost a year back that there was the much heralded demolition of the buildings on both side of the street. They said that they were widening the street in anticipation of the much-hyped ‘Look East Policy’. But they are still working on the side drainage on that 1/2 km stretch of the street.

On my way back, I made it a point to count the number of workmen there. Altogether there must 20 workmen there. Not definitely more than 30. Why? Why don’t they employ more workmen there? There is definitely no dearth of workmen who are capable of such works and most of them would be willing to put in their skills there.

They say they are beginning to shift focus on fast-paced Far East and South East Asia. And they are taking almost a year completing works on 2 km stretch of street-side drainage.

It’s a joke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.