Thursday, June 14, 2007

To Khurai

One of my cousins is marrying next week. This morning I went to his place to enquire about the preparations of the wedding. He is a cousin from my mother’s side and my mother’s place is Khurai.

So, this is my first visit to Khurai side in several months. After visiting him, I even shopped at Lamong Keithel!

To my mind, the place is a little too quite. There must be some underlying tensions in the area. There are also a large number of police and paramilitary deployed there.

Outwardly, the place seems to be quite normal. I sincerely hope that nothing ugly would happen there anymore.

One very interesting thing today is that one single paper carried a press statement by KNO. It said that the violence in Moreh is a direct result of a particular rebel group’s efforts to consolidate its power within the ‘Kuki areas’. It advised this group to restrict its activities in the valley areas. It even asked the people of Manipur to persuade the rebel group to desist from operating in ‘Kuki areas’!

Even, NSCN (IM) chipped in accusing the same rebel group as responsible for the Moreh violence. It said the violence erupted because of the said rebel group’s collaboration with Burmese army. Their press statement was cryptic and confusing.

And, there is yet another press statement, this time issued jointly by three major rebel groups. It is a lengthy statement and going through I can find mention of ‘anti-national liberation struggle’ several times.

Something remarkable is definitely is brewing up.

No comments: