Thursday, June 28, 2007

They are right here in our midst.

I’m interested in owning a farm land. The plan is not for the near future. But whenever I get a chance, I do not fail to inquire about the nature of the available land and its price etc.

One of my recent acquaintances has got a sericulture farm near Lotak lake but towards the foothills of the Thangjing. So, I do not fail to him about the quality of farmland and their prices in the areas around his farm.

He told me that the price of farmland had actually declined during recent years.

Any price for any article in these harsh times of ours?

This surely must apply for an inferior quality of farmland.

But he told me that he was talking of top notch farmlands.

SO?

He told me that there has been perceptible decline in the annual rainfalls and this decline has been more acutely felt in the hill slopes. There has been also perceptible decrease in the volume of waters in the hilly fountains. So, what are the use slope lands in the foothills if they cannot be irrigated by hilly fountains?

So, there has been drastic fall in price of the farmlands around that area. The fall has been as drastic as 50% decrease from the price of one or two years back.

My acquaintance was telling me the recent developments in the area adjoining his farms as they happened there. He was not particularly thinking about global warming and Ozone holes. But his story tells us that we are living right through the phenomena.

Neither global warming nor Ozone holes is something which is visiting us in some futures. They are right here in our midst.

No comments: